The Weekly Standard expected to close doors in coming weeks. Defiant never-Trumpers are out.

Jake Baker  ·  December 06, 2018  ·  Featured, Media-Entertainment, Politics, Elections, Left Wing Ideology, Leftist Bullies

By: H.T. Coffee

Looks like another Never-Trump elitist org is about to bite the dust.   The Weekly Standard has been a voice in the neo-con wing of the GOP since 1995 but their fortunes of late have been headed the wrong direction.   In fact, the publication is not expected to survive as we head into 2019 and is reportedly preparing to pull the shades and turn out the lights out permanently, if several former and current staff members who spoke to the media have the story straight.

Rumors have been flying for some time that the magazine was in trouble, but the stories began circulating in earnest throughout the media mash on Tuesday proclaiming the fate of The Weekly Standard.  The Standard’s readership and circulation has been tanking since management decided that staking out a “never-Trump” position for the magazine to match their elitist viewpoint was a winning idea.  Obviously it wasn’t. 

Despite the magazine’s best efforts at rebranding as The Source for the political right … those conservative Americas - who just happen to despise Donald Trump there has been no upturn in sales, interest or circulation. 

"I don't expect it to exist after December 14, 2018," one editor at the magazine told reporters. "There is no budget for it AT ALL."

Unfortunately for the Standard, there just aren’t conservative Trump-haters to keep the publication afloat.  Tuesday afternoon it was CNN that broke the story that the magazine's editor-in-chief Stephen Hayes addressed staff about the magazine's difficulties however, he stopped short of burying the publication. 

"Supposedly Steve Hayes doesn't even know anything more [beyond what CNN reported]," the staffer said.

The magazines founders Bill Kristol and Fred Barnes have always been more neo-con or establishment than many conservatives cared for. Originally the Weekly Standard was owned by NewsCorp and tried to fit an uncomfortable niche.  The magazine was eventually dumped in 2009 to billionaire Philip Anschutz. Individuals close to the magazine reported that Anschutz was growing frustrated with the failing direction of the magazine.

Several employees have been hearing rumors of trouble at the publication for some time and recently a former employee of The Washington Examiner, which happens to be the same parent company as The Weekly Standard, told media that the office had been hearing whispers since Monday about the magazine's future or perhaps the lack there of. Some have speculated that the magazine would be folded into The Washington Examiner.

"They're either closing or they're folding into a page of the Washington Examiner," said the former Examiner employee.

Those rumors were disputed by an editor at the Standard. 

"I don't think 'folded' is the right word. It sounds more like get rid of us entirely," the editor said.

A spokesperson for Anschutz did not comment.

Article source: https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/12/05/the-weekly-standard-expected-to-close-do...

#NeverrTrump, Donald Trump, Weekly Standard, Establishment, Steve Hays, Anschutz, Bill Kirstol, Fred Barns

Be the first to comment!

To leave a comment, please Login or Register